Tom Melillo was born in 1935 and raised in New Haven, Connecticut. He is a self-taught artist and has been painting most of his life. He attended Quinnipiac University and later was an active member of the New Haven Paint and Clay Club one of the oldest Art Leagues in The United States.
He studied with New York artist John McCluskey and Jim Golden. Melillo’s work reflects ideas and styles that are ever changing inspired by prominent Mid Century Artists. The artist currently is working and living in South Florida. His work has been shown in the galleries in New York, CT and Florida. Tom loves to tackle challenges head-on from which he derives a great deal of creativity demonstrated through his art.
Born in Paris in 1945, young Pollès often watched and admired his father as he painted with great sensitivity with his preferred medium of oil paints. In 1966 his fascination for painting led him to participate as a painter in an art exhibition at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts de Paris and subsequently left medical school. During his stay in London in 1967, a chance meeting with the Italian sculptor Enzo Plazzotta sealed his fate as Dominique was tutored the basics of sculpture by the master. In 1970 he decided to leave for Italy, settling in Carrara, Tuscany. Within three years his sculptures began to be appreciated and then sold especially by American collectors. The more sculptures he made the larger and more ambitious his work had become. His sculptures bestow a startling sense of volume, contour, and texture suggesting massive, primitive icons rather than contemporary works. The lure of the polished patinas varies from the traditional browns and greens to bright turquoise, rich reds, and cool silver. His subject matter is almost always of the female form with twisting, truncated torsos, emphasizing the curving, sensuous planes of the womanly outline. Considered as the inventor of the “Organic Cubism”, he is immediately identifiable while he is reinventing the interpretation of the fullness of flesh through a new and personal mythology. His creations are a blend of Brancusi’s purity, Henry Moore’s figurative abstraction and Modigliani’s lines and forms. In 1980 he was awarded the Pascal Bigel by the Rodin Museum in Paris and seven years later the work ‘Great Ogive’ was purchased by the city of Paris to be installed at the Museum Campredon. In 1997 he received the award of the Florence Gould Foundation in an exhibition organized by the Prince Pierre Foundation of Monaco. He has exhibited in France, Belgium, Florida (USA), Italy and the UK.
Zbigniew Kopania, artist painter, cinematographer, born December 21, 1949, in Łódź Poland. Kopania style of paintings characterized by very high realism, some of them deserve to be called hyperrealism. He often uses thick impasto of paint and numerous glazes that contribute to the final effect of the created works. In his paintings, you can almost always see great color saturation, high contrast, and meticulously refined details. College degree in Cinematography Department of the State Higher School of Film, Television, and Theater in Łódź 1969-74. An operator of feature, documentary and television films in Poland and abroad 1974-80. Painting creativity under the direction of prof. Jerzy Mierzejewski, 1974 – cooperation with galleries in London, Amsterdam and Munich 1980-, and with galleries in the USA in 1991- Individual exhibitions abroad, among others : Polish Social and Cultural Center in London 1990, Provincichuis Gallery Haarlem (Holland) 1991, Galerie Am Isator (Munich) 1994, Turner Art Gallery, Denver (USA) 1995, Houtplein Expo site Haarlem Gallery 1996, Country Club Gallery, Odessa (USA) 1997, Galerie Kunst Centrum Haarlem 2001. Permanent cooperation with several galleries in Poland, including the Blue-S Gallery. Creativity: realistic painting (still life, flowers, landscapes, ballet dancers, paintings with a shade of surrealism, portraits), including Sarmatian portraits for the film by Pan Tadeusz (directed by Andrzej Wajda) 1998. Works in private collections in Europe and the US.
Yury Darashkevitch was born in Belarus; he graduated from the Belarusian State Academy of the Arts in 1985. Upon graduation, he began a career in the illustration and graphic design field, painting in his spare time. After several successful solo shows in the early 90’s, Yury started to devote his attention to paintings and being a full-time artist. When he moved to Toronto Canada, he became an Elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists in 2009, and In 2010 I moved to Florida. His artworks are exhibited in art galleries in the US, Canada, and Europe.
Pierre Marie Brisson French b. 1955 – one of the most talented contemporary artists. Brisson combines various elements in his compositions, imitating the rough surface of an ancient wall, the craquelure of old paint, the decorative pattern of wallpaper and woven fabric. Brisson’s paintings and graphic artworks have been the subject of numerous gallery and museum exhibitions throughout Western Europe, North America, and Japan; his work can be found in the permanent collections of institutions throughout the world.
Gino Hollander (1924 – August 27, 2015) was an American painter. He began painting in New York City during the abstract expressionist movement.
In the mid-20th century, he was a successful filmmaker along with his wife Barbara Hollander before he started painting in 1960, during the abstract expressionism movement in New York City. He became one of the group that defined this movement and whom all hung out at the famous Cedar Tavern. Acrylic paint was just emerging at that time, and Hollander was among the first to explore its possibilities. From 1960-1962, he had his studio and the first Hollander Gallery on Bleecker Street, in Greenwich Village. During that time his paintings sold to the likes of Jacqueline Kennedy, Steve McQueen, Norman Rockwell, and Ralph Lauren.
Despite having experienced initial success in New York, Hollander moved withown his family to Spain in 1962, to find his voice in painting. He often bartered paintings to support his family while he continued developing his style. Hollander and his wife Barbara took their children on archaeological trips, following the road construction crews which were building new highways throughout Spain, unearthing ancient treasures. They created Museo Hollander, renamed Pizarra Municipal Museum, located in an old Cortijo. The museum was to exhibit this collection of Spanish artifacts that span along with Hollande paintings. In 1990, the Hollanders donated their museum to the government of Spain and were nationally awarded in honor of the King’s birthdate a Medallion de Plata for contributing to the country’s growth in tourism.
Charming oil on canvas garden scape, titled “Dans Le Jardin”, by the husband and wife team of Sotiris-Corzo. The painting is signed in the lower left corner. By juxtaposing warm and cool colors, the artist’s can capture the lightness of the scene with three children playing with their pet. The painting is framed in an ornate golden frame.
Sotiris was born in Athens, Greece in 1936. He traveled extensively in Europe studying and refining his painting. He completed undergraduate work in 1954-59 and continued his post-graduate work at the Glasgow University, Scotland, 1966-67. He came to the United States in 1968 and continued his studies at UCLA and Santa Monica College where he met Corzo. In 1969, they married.
Corzo was born in Argentina in 1949, within a family of artists. Her Spanish born father, Mauro Hernandez, became the driving factor in her goal to pursue painting. She began her professional career at the early age of 15. An art major in high school, Corzo continued her studies at Santa Monica College. Their original paintings are exhibited in major galleries throughout the United States and Europe.
Fabien was born in LIsle-Jourdain, France. He is a self-taught figurative painter of the School of Paris who uses a modern form of pointillism. He paints in a realistic style trying to capture a special moment.
Fabien has exhibited his work in most of the important Paris salon shows and has had one-man shows in many countries including France, United States, Japan, England, and Germany. He began to show his work in the early 1950s in the Salon d’Automne and in 1953 exhibited in the Salon de la Jeune Peinture, of which he was elected president in 1964 and in 1965. In 1957 he was accorded the Prix Greenshields.
Fabien’s paintings have been acquired by the French State, the City of Paris, and the Petit Palais of Geneva.
Color lithograph paper size 25″7×19″7 framed 31″x25″ Pencil signed, dated ’62, limited edition 22/100
Karel Appel B. 1921, AMSTERDAM; D. 2006, ZURICH Karel Appel was born on April 25, 1921, in Amsterdam. From 1940 to 1943 he studied at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam. In 1946 his first solo show was held at Het Beerenhuis, Groningen, Netherlands, and he participated in Jonge Schilders (Young painters) at the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam. About this time, Appel was influenced first by Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse, then by Jean Dubuffet. He was a member of the Nederlandse Experimentele Groep (Dutch Experimental Group, 1948) and established the Cobra group (1948–51) with Constant (Constant Nieuwenhuys), Corneille (Guillaume Cornelis Beverloo), and other painters from Copenhagen, Brussels, and Amsterdam. The style distinguished itself through bold, expressive compositions inspired by folk and children’s art, as well as by the work of Paul Klee and Joan Miró. In 1949 Appel completed a fresco for the cafeteria of the city hall in Amsterdam, which created such controversy that it was covered for ten years. In 1950 the artist moved to Paris; there the writer Hugo Claus introduced him to art critic Michel Tapié, who organized various exhibitions of his work. Appel was given a solo show at the Palais des beaux-arts, Brussels, in 1953. He received the UNESCO Prize at the 1954 Venice Biennale and was commissioned to execute a mural for the restaurant of the Stedelijk Museum in 1956. The following year Appel traveled to Mexico and the United States and won a graphics prize at the Ljubljana Biennial in Yugoslavia. The first major monograph on Appel, written by Claus, was published in 1962. In the late 1960s, the artist moved to the Chteau de Molesmes, near Auxerre, southeast of Paris. Solo exhibitions of his work were held at the Centre national d’art contemporain, Paris, and the Stedelijk Museum (1968), and at the Kunsthalle Basel and the Palais des beaux-arts (1969). During the 1950s and 1960s he executed numerous murals for public buildings. A major Appel show opened at the Centraal Museum, Utrecht, Netherlands (1970), and a retrospective toured Canada and the United States (1972). In the 1970s and 1980s, Appel continued to work simultaneously in sculpture and painting, pushing his abstraction further with his window paintings—a series he began in 1980. Appel also gradually introduced landscape into his iconography, which would develop into a more consistent engagement in the last decade of his work. In the 1980s, Appel also began his collaborations with American poet Allen Ginsberg, which would continue over the next ten years. In his later career, his work was the subject of numerous solo exhibitions organized by Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam (1982); Castello di Rivoli–Museo d’arte contemporanea, Turin, Italy (1987); National Museum of Art, Osaka (1989); Stedelijk Museum (1998, 2000, and 2001); and Cobra Museum voor Moderne Kunst, Amstelveen, Netherlands (2001). Appel died on May 3, 2006, in Zurich.
Artist signed (engraved), artist’s seal, Toucans female and male glass sculptures.
The sculptures are very rare.
Walter Furlan was born in 1931 in Chioggia, a small town near Venice. He started to work in a furnace called “VAMSA” very early. He apprenticed from one of the most famous glass masters on the island, Romano Tosi, better known as ‘Mamaracio’.
Towards the end of the second world war (1940-1945) he worked in the furnace ‘Gino Cenedese’, where he met Alfredo Barbini along with the old masters from Vamsa (among others: Mamaracio and Gino Forte, better known as ‘Peta’).
During this period Master, Walter Furlan learnt the particular technique called ‘a massello’ (i.e. he learned how to shape a quantity of glass that was not blown and therefore quite difficult to handle). In 1963, he exhibited his works of art in the official Glass Display on Murano Island sponsored by the Venetian Institute for Work and later on in Arts and Crafts Exhibition in Reggio, Calabria.
At the beginning of the 70’s he cooperated with Master Angelo Seguso and designer Mario Pinsoni in the glass factory ‘Seguso Art Glass’.
The fascinating artistic work of Picasso expressed in Furlan’s glass sculptures is demonstrated by the experience acquired during his periods of work with the old masters. He has interpreted Picasso’s paintings during his Cubic Period and has given them a 3rd dimension.
Each sculpture is hand-crafted and signed, the glass welded to remove fractures making it robust and able to refract the light beautifully. The colors are vivid, and the work is profoundly dimensional. It is as if Picasso sculpted them himself!
In fact, what greater accolade is there in that Picasso gave license to Walter Furlan to carry on using his name after his death in 1973.
The works of Walter Furlan are to be found in museums collection all over the world.